AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Deere Auto Steer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

MN Dave 2
Posted 5/16/2019 18:10 (#7500350 - in reply to #7500248)
Subject: RE: Deere Auto Steer

We had a EZ steer 500 finger pincher on a red 4x4... worked pretty well but had some equipment longevity issues. When the terrain comp unit puked for the second time ($2000) we "upgraded" to the Ezsteer 750. I couldn't be more unhappy with the system. I've had the dealer out at least twice and after riding with me for several hours, it still sucks. You have to be ABSOLUTELY perfectly lined up for your next pass before you engage the autosteer, otherwise it will be perfectly happy to run 1-2' to the side of where you should be. We've messed with the different parameter settings until I've finally said the heck with it and lived with having to line up perfectly each time before I engage the autosteer. As I was finishing our last bean field yesterday it suddenly started going crazy, it would violently move steering wheel side to side. After restarting system several times and trying some different settings I finally gave up and did the last 3-4 rounds the old fashioned way.

We have a JD 2630 system in our planter/sprayer tractor which then gets moved to our combine where we autosteer both corn and soybeans. Our JD system is integrated on both tractor and combine. It works GREAT. While you are turning, you can hit the engage button and the autosteer will acquire the line and get you going back the other way perfectly. In fact, we have to delibertly mess up turning on the ends while planting corn so we can easily find the right rows to get started on when we start combining corn in a field. If you've never combined beans with a JD combine with a hydroflex head while autosteering, you have treat to look forward to.

I can't give you exact costs of of each system. I would imagine the JD system is 2-3 times what a EZsteer system costs, but with all the different mappings, population prescriptions, fertilizer prescriptions, planter controller, combine yield mapping, we are expecting way more out of it also. In my not so humble opinion, just how cheap is something that doesn't work.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)