AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tariffs - and surviving the cycle low
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

cfdr
Posted 5/11/2019 08:26 (#7490634 - in reply to #7490590)
Subject: RE: Tariffs - and surviving the cycle low

north1 - 5/11/2019 08:10

As a farmers taking Uncle Sams hush money farm program payments, we are no different than the fat welfare chick in town with 6 kids, no job, and a meth habit. Just different address.

Oh, really? A fat welfare chick in town . . . with a meth habit?

The farm programs are designed to do one thing - ensure full production. By lopping off the lows, they hope to keep people like us working out butts off even when we don't make money. And, by lopping off the lows, they, at the same time, lop off the highs, so we seldom make that much money. Once about every thirty years there is a huge party in ag production where the demand builds and profits are easy. Big profits. Do we tend to treat them as temporary, even though every time in the past they disappeared? Of course not. But after every party, there is a hangover - and the thirty year party is quite a party - with the correspondingly really bad hangover. Human nature, I guess. That's when the programs kick in again, if it repeats (which it probably will). The goal is maximum production - and minimum cost for that production. I've always thought that the taxpayer gets a really big bang for their buck with farm support payments.

Not so much with that "welfare chick in town."

Just my opinion, of course.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)