AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VHS tapes to Computer format
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Beerslayer
Posted 5/20/2019 11:29 (#7507759 - in reply to #7481612)
Subject: RE: VHS tapes to Computer format

Southern Farmer - 5/7/2019 10:09

Sent mine off many years ago and had them put on CD's, the scanned several thousand photos into the computer and put them on CD's. Finally copied all of them on to a computer that I was going to replace.  That computer is locked up in the storage building along with the printer, monitor and instructions on how to hook up all the cables. It is still loaded with all of the original programs that I had on it and rest assured that none of them are subscription programs. The photos go way back into the 1800's,

What a treasure. And so unprotected. I've been supporting computers for over 20 years and have seen very many CDs go bad. It's call dye fade. There's a chemical dye layer that the CD burner burns little holes in. Completely different process from music CDs. Over time and sometimes it's a very short time, the dye fades and the contrast disappears between the holes and the rest of the dye layer. CDs become unreadable. Hard drives go bad sitting. Can be either mechanical problems or the magnetic signature fades on the drive.

Suggest you get those photos copied off of whatever media you can read and uploaded to a cloud service soon. Jungledisk is good and easy to use.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)