AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere computer trak 250
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 5/3/2019 07:50 (#7473690 - in reply to #7465954)
Subject: RE: John Deere computer trak 250

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Winfal_Farms - 4/29/2019 18:04

Ok bear with me.. I have a John Deere 7000 front fold 24 row 15” bean planter. Long story short I didn’t get the monitor with it. I picked up a JD computertrak 250 with Radar today. I plugged everything in except the radar and I have power on the monitor but it won’t let me use most functions. Just “area” and planter width. I unplugged the harness from the planter and it didn’t do anything on the monitor. I’m not great with electronics but not having a manual for the monitor isn’t helping. Does anyone have any insight or direction for me to go?

The ComputerTrak 250 and 350 were made by Dickey John for Deere. Dickey John also made monitors with their own brand name on them. They both used 37 pin connectors at the hitch BUT they are not wired identically. Maybe your planter harness is a Dickey John style for a true Dickey John monitor. I believe the "first" pin numbers are the row numbers so both styles are the same at that point. I believe the difference is in the power/ground pins which are different from one style to the other.

When a 250 or 350 is installed in a tractor that is connected to a PROPER wiring harness, the system notices this and starts a sensor check out routine and attempts to warn you if it finds a bad sensor. It checks for sensors at the proper locations as defined by the setup. This is repeated each time the monitor is powered on.

If it does not think that it is connected to a planter, it will still power up which would allow you to use it as a basic acre counter. You would need to start/stop the counting with a button on the display.

It sounds to me as if this is happening even when you are connected to your planter which leads me to speculate that the wiring harness is not the proper one or has a problem with power/ground. I believe the difference is in the power/ground pins.

If my thoughts are correct an answer would be to get an adapter. This would be a 37 pin male to 37 pin female that would go between the planter monitor and the harness on the planter. Internally it would rearrange the power/ground pins to make the wiring patterns match. Ag Express or Sensor-1 would be a good source for advice and such an adapter. Another approach would be to cut off the end on the planter harness and install a new one with the correct wiring pattern.

I wouldn't advise this as I have had to do this when a connector got crushed and had to be replaced. There are lots of wires, they are small and they must go to the proper locations.

I did a search on Sensor-1 and found an adapter that seems to do what I speculate is necessary. Good luck

http://www.sensor-1.com/product_p/a37adjr-37ajdp-xx.htm

Edited by tedbear 5/3/2019 08:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)