AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Electric NH3 valve
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 2/13/2009 12:29 (#607331 - in reply to #607143)
Subject: Re: Electric NH3 valve

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
77 Farmer - 2/13/2009 08:52

I always wondered why they offered 2 valve configurations. We have had our fast close valve system for 10 years with not a single problem(knock on wood). I was thinking if i added the ability to split the bar in 1/2 i would save more nh3. I know when we shut it off we have to drain 2-12'-1" hoses out to the manifolds then all the small lines. I am not sure how much this will add up in a year. Plus it always seems that you need 10' to finish up a field and you end up doubling up alot finishing up.

Historically the two valve system came first as this was necessary to mimic the operation of a sprayer. Later in history Raven introduced the Fast close valve as an alternative to the two valve system. The standard control valve is geared down considerably. The Standard ON/OFF valve is quick. This means that you get good control via the standard control valve and quick response via the quick on/off valve.

The Fast valve was created to save money so that a Raven system could compete with other brands. This meant that the controller now has the task of running the valve quickly (no gearing down ) to shut off the valve. Without gearing the valve must be given extremely "short shots" to change the rate slightly. This is difficult at low rates.

The shut off time would be quicker with the outboard additional ON/OFF valves. We have seen an increase in sales of multi-shut off valves rigs due to the high price of NH3 and larger bars. In the past it wasn't that cost effective to purchase the extra valves versus the cost of NH3.

Edited by tedbear 2/13/2009 17:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)