AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starter/Grower Lamb Rations
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

dabeegmon
Posted 3/15/2019 11:52 (#7382128 - in reply to #7382064)
Subject: RE: Starter/Grower Lamb Rations

SE Manitoba
caseihboy5288 - 3/15/2019 11:17

I am pretty new to the sheep, this is my second groups of lambs and they are weighting anywhere from 10-40 lbs right now. Last summer I fed my feeder lambs a combination of ground corn and DDG, with alfalfa and grass. Right now these lambs are on 20% lamb starter and corn, mixed to about 18%. They seemed to eat more with the corn mixed in. I was wondering what you guys feed your lambs, and what the most cost effective way is. Thank you.

Hoo boy - - - a question with a bunch of knots, at least imo.

I'm not a big fan of feedmill concoctions (imo they are mostly overly expensive) so I don't use anything like a starter - - I make my own.
Cost effective also means different things to different people too.

I find lambs will start nibbling on soymeal likely the easiest out of anything I've tried.
When they are nibbling regular at that I start adding some cracked corn (not whole corn yet) I work that until its about 50:50 cracked corn and soy meal.
Once they're eating that fairly well I will move the protein so that I'm getting 50% of the requirements from DDGS (especially if there is a big $ difference in $/# of protein).
So my protein levels are higher than 18%.
When I get closer to when I want to wean the lambs I start moving the corn from cracked to whole corn moving the mix %ages very slowly.
Me - - - after weaning I feed a very high quality alfalfa hay (min RFV 150 or better) and continue the grains mix moving them to straight whole corn very slowly.
I also move from 1x per day stuff into the trough (when they're nibbling) to 2x per day (that's even before weaning) and they're weaned onto a 2x per day feeding.
After weaning I add feedings of whole corn - - - that's only for the males. For the females life stays at lower levels of grain and higher levels of good hay.
When you market will determine some of your option requirements.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)