AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trying to keep my planter build neat questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/14/2019 10:00 (#7379788 - in reply to #7379246)
Subject: RE: Trying to keep my planter build neat questions

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I use an InCommand 1200 to steer my tractor (Deere 8310R) and work with several aspects of the planter. My planter is a 24-30 1770NT with ground drive. For seed I use the Ag Leader SureVacs on the row units controlled by a Ag Leader Clutch Control module. Since a single module can handle 12 sections, it works out nicely to use 12-2 row sections. I use a Seed Tube Monitoring Module (STTM) for monitoring the seed population.

My starter fertilizer is delivered by one DemCo ground driven pump. I use an Ag Leader Application Rate Module and Raven flowmeter to monitor (not control) the fertilizer rate. The fertilizer system has no control or ON/OFF valves. The fertilizer plumbing uses Wilger Flow monitor column with check valves and orifices at each row. The pump starts/stops based on whether the planter is UP/DOWN. TO change the rate, I must use a wrench and adjust the stroke of the pump.

I also have a spray system on the planter. This consists of DemCo SideQuest tanks on the tractor as well as a Hypro centrifugal pump. The pump is run at a constant speed set by the tractors hydraulics. A single 1" line runs from the tractor to the rear of the planter. The flow then enters a Raven 1" control valve and a Raven RFM15 flow meter. The output tees and runs to each planter wing. There are two ON/OFF electric ball valves on each wing, meaning the spray is split into four sections. The spray goes into Wilger flow columns before going to a check valve and tip behind each row. I use small flood tips on each row. They are mounted so they spray back rather than down. This allows the tips to be mounted fairly close to the ground.

I also have an Ag Leader downforce ISO module that I added last year. It is connected to weigh bars on some rows. I used 6 weigh bars. I do not have down force, only the monitoring aspect. I'm confused by what the downforce readings were telling me. The values seemed very high, possibly I need upforce.

My Ag Leader modules are out in the open. Placing them inside some type of enclosure is probably a good idea. One of the connectors on one of my modules got broken because it was not protected. The broken connector was on the module itself and would have been very difficult to repair. I was able to tie band it in place. I was able to obtain a small plastic tool box which was somewhat larger than the module. I was able to place the module inside the tool box and cut a hole for the wiring. The tool box will provide protection for the fragile connection. It was not a problem last year. It's unfortunate that I had not done this with the original installation.

You ask about using a control valve and flow meter with your ground driven pump. I don see a problem with putting the control valve in a branch with a Tee prior to the flow meter. Remember the configuration will need to be set in "bypass" so the control valve operates properly. I have seen problems using Raven's 3/4"control valve with stops on an Ag Leader system. I would strongly advise using their 1" or 1 1/2" control valves as they stand up fine.

As I am sure you are aware, you will definitely need the multi-product unlock on your InCommand 1200.

You mention using the original 1/2 width disconnect for driving the fertilizer pumps and then using a Clutch Control Module for the fertilizer. I don't think that will coexist with the electric seed drives. I think a better way would be to use a 3-way electric ball valve in each fertilizer system. This valve can be controlled by the Liquid Product Control valve module like valves on a sprayer. The difference being when the valve is in the OFF position it diverts the flow back to the top of the tank rather than deadheading it like a common valve.

If you have the two fertilizer systems separate such that one Liquid Module runs the left and another runs the right there may be some confusion with the setup. The Ag Leader system can handle two systems BUT their assumption is that each system will be the full width and one behind the other rather than beside each other as you would be doing.

I think you can get around this with a little trickery. I believe you should setup Fertilizer Left as a two section sprayer with half the width for Section 1 and half the width for Section 2. In operation, Section 1 goes ON/OFF but Section 2 is always OFF. Section 1 would run the left 3-way valve. That means that the system will compute the area for Fertilizer Left on just those acres and adjust the control valve properly.

I believe you should setup Fertilizer Right as a two section sprayer where Section 2 goes ON/OFF but Section 1 is always OFF. Section 2 would run its 3-way valve. That means that the system will compute the area for Fertilizer Left on just those acres and adjust the control valve properly.

This would likely involve assigning the switch inputs for your switch box or Auxiliary Input module differently than the default. I haven't thought through that completely but my gut reaction is that Fertilizer Left and Fertilizer Right would be assigned to their own individual switches. for the sections that are actually used. I don't think that the "phantom" sections (Section 2 of Fertilizer Left and Section 1 of Fertilizer Right) would need to be assigned to any switch, that way they would never be ON and confuse the widths. Each Liquid Module has an implement switch branch which could be jumpered. Since you will likely have an implement switch or two for the seed modules, that can be used for the liquid modules as well.

In a nutshell, Pin A of all implement switch branches is 12V so pick one and split it if necessary to go to all implement switches. The other terminal from the switches should tie together and go to Pin B of any and all implement stubs on the various modules. That way the switches get 12V and all modules will receive 12V if any implement switch is in the Plant position.

Edited by tedbear 3/14/2019 10:19
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)