AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn vs. Soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

WeaveFarmer
Posted 3/13/2019 08:03 (#7377232 - in reply to #7375923)
Subject: RE: Corn vs. Soybeans

Boone Co. Iowa
I am planning on several fields of corn-on-corn this year. We haven't done that for several years. Corn-bean rotation has been very good recently - yields for both have been increasing over past 4-5 years. We have storage for the corn we are growing, and I only planted beans on fields I need to keep the rotation on.

Lots of fields were not worked this past fall, and very little AA was fall applied, so this spring will be difficult. Anhydrous supplier called yesterday, just wanted to chat and kind of let us know that they will be doing their best to keep rigs going but will be a supply issue.

If you plan on planting April 10th, that is less than a month away. It will be interesting to see how spring shakes out (and we all know it will eventually). Buses are hard-surfaces only here, and no garbage pickup until the gravel roads dry out a little. 55 and rainy here today - will melt snow (just started to see the ground a little bit yesterday) but the mess is going to get worse until it gets better.

I suspect it will all get planted on time. Lots of farmers have tractors with auto-steer and lights. As in, I can't think of a farmer who doesn't. Maybe a few who have a few hundred acres and main income is from off-farm job.

Everyone else I talk to, suppliers and farmers, are sticking with regular rotations. Lots of problems with corn on corn yields here last year. 20-50 bpa off of rotated corn yields.

A few farm auctions that I was surprised to see last fall. 3 farmers in their mid-60's, I suspect average financial situation, who decided to sell machinery and rent what they own. Can't blame them, spend more time with grandkids, and probably do just as good with off-farm part time work and renting out ground, and decent machinery lines that they sold.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)