AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DCM 300
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 3/12/2019 07:53 (#7375126 - in reply to #7375047)
Subject: RE: DCM 300

Glenwood, Mn

They are worth very little.  In fact, I just bought a working one from Ebay for $14.99 shipped.  The shipping was $12 so I guess I paid $2.99 for it?  I bought it because it was cheap and I wanted to see how they work (curiosity)

The reason they won't work in the near future is Verizon is "shutting off" 3g.  They stated last year no new activations on 3g and they said they will flip the switch in December 2019.  Some areas are already migrated off (I never go into 3g here at my farm anymore).  So it's the carrier, not the CORS system.  ATT and TMobile have similar plans but different end date.  If your dealer is saying it won't work this spring hey may be correct depending  on the local tower support.

There ARE carriers that are still continuing their 3g networks but for how long is unknown.  US Cellular comes to mind as they have no official announcement that I know of.    It is anticipated the carriers that haven't already said so will drop 3g by 2021 completely.  Technology changes and they are making bandwidth for other technologies (LTE-M). 

I see DCM300's on Ebay listed from $200-$400 which I think is slightly high for something that will work with few carriers in less than a year.  Actual auction price is between $10 and $100 usually.  Remember, there is a large difference in asking vs. actual :)

I'd say if you can get north of $200 for it I'd sell it and try to get something different so you aren't left holding the bag so to speak.   You have a lot of replacement options and I am sure someone will chime in with what they are.  When all the 3g networks are shut off (ATT, TMobile) you will have a very small market meaning it will be a paperweight.  Good luck!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)