AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back to putting hay in feeders
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 3/8/2019 08:00 (#7366875 - in reply to #7366548)
Subject: RE: Back to putting hay in feeders

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Hello Greg.  We were down to 32 below zero F with around -50 F windchills for several nights. It hasn't been above freezing here for a long time.  Even though pic above doesn't show it, if I'd turned 90 degrees either direction there are snow drifts everywhere. Going from my house to my shed would be easier with snow shoes!

Not much wheat around here to produce straw. Mostly baled corn stalks used for bedding.  I started putting hay bales out on end without rings with the intent of leaving a bit on the ground to provide a place for my cattle to lie down after they've eaten most of the hay bale.  I hate frost bitten udders and can't imagine expecting them to bed on this heavy snow. The hay on the ground is a very small percentage of what's been fed. The stalk bales were too frozen to make good bedding so I put them up for a windbreak. I'll be baling more neighbors stalks this year.

Usually mine find a spot in the woods but as I mentioned before, this heifer group will not go in the woods for some reason. My neighbor says he has game camera pics of a bobcat.

Overall I am happy with how they have come through a rough stretch of weather now about 5 weeks ahead of calving.

Edited by Jim 3/8/2019 08:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)