AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why do calves do dumb stuff
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

1066smoker
Posted 2/15/2019 13:42 (#7322747)
Subject: Why do calves do dumb stuff

Frederick, Md
Had a bull calf born on Monday night, real nice AI calf out of one of my best cows. He laid down next to the hay feeder wagon and must have rolled underneath it. Not sure how long he was there, but I found him this morning and pulled him out. He had some hair rubbed off of his back from where he was trying to get out but couldn't. He nursed as soon as I pulled him out and seemed happy enough. Had the weather been cold I figure he would have froze to death as there was 2" or more of water pooled up under there.

Checked on him at lunch and he was laying in some hay, and didn't seem super alert. So I gave him a shot of MultiMin and some penicillin. The penicillin was for his navel as it seemed to have gotten quite a bit larger than it was this morning. I assume its infected from laying in crap water all night. I also put him and the cow in a separate pen with fresh straw, and will leave them there for a few days.

Very frustrated at this point as its been a rough start to the year so far, and really need this one to live.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)