AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Neighbor has grain bags a year an half old?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Joe@RFDG
Posted 2/12/2019 08:50 (#7315617 - in reply to #7315547)
Subject: RE: Neighbor has grain bags a year an half old?

Glenwood, Mn
I had dry corn in a bag over winter. It was 2016 crop, pulled out of the bin in 2017 summer and then held until summer of 18 in a bag.

Bags are great if two things happen. One, the corn is dry. Dry meaning below 14.5%. Mine was around 14%. And two, the bags are in tact. I didn't have any dockage coming out of the bag but apparently deer here like to walk on top of them for some odd reason and rats LOVE to tunnel under them. Out of a full bag there may have been a few scoop shovels that got blended out where the deer poked holes with there hooves. I know it was deer because you could see the hood marks/impression where it didn't poke through. Once the seal is cracked, all bets are off because of oxygen and moisture. Would I do it again? Nope. I did make enough to cover my "interest" and storage fee for the bag plus labor but looking back it was an unnecessary risk. Live and learn.

I now try to do a better job marketing ahead of time off the combine. I don't make as much but it is certainly less risky. I currently don't plan to build any more bins.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)