AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any Remington Model 700 BDL experts?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

WYDave
Posted 2/12/2019 23:47 (#7317440 - in reply to #7314487)
Subject: RE: Any Remington Model 700 BDL experts?

Wyoming

I highly doubt that there is gold inlet into the lettering/rollmark on the barrel of a 700 BDL that doesn't also have markings as coming from the Remington custom shop.

Oh, and BTW - the Remington 700 trigger problem is reproduced thus. Do this on an unloaded rifle.

1. Cock the rifle, ie, close the bolt.
2. Put the safety on 'safe'. 
3. Pull the trigger.
4. Move the safety to "off."

If the trigger group has congealed oil, grit/sand/etc in it, or if the trigger return spring is set to too light a weight, the firing pin will snap forward (ie, if the gun were loaded, it would fire).

Why does this happen? This happens because Remington is cheap. They don't want to harden and polish the integral pieces of metal in the trigger in order to get a reliable, good-tactile-feedback trigger. So they put in a little piece of metal called a "connector" which looks like an inverted "L" between the real trigger (the part you touch with your trigger finger) and the sear in the trigger group. This connector isn't connected to the trigger itself - it merely floats on the trigger. If the spring that pushes the connector back onto the trigger is set too light, or there is gunk/dust/crud/congealed oil build up in the trigger group, the connector might not return rearward with the trigger when you let off the trigger. Without the connector returning rearwards with the trigger, when you let off the safety, the cocking piece pushes down on the sear, and the sear has nothing under it - because the connector is still stuck forward in the trigger group, and the sear then drops out of the way, the cocking piece flies forward and the rifle fires.

Remington knew about this problem going clear back to the 60's. We were taught about the safety issues of Remington's "Walker Fire Control System" triggers (as they're called on the patents) at Trinidad (the gunsmithing school where I got my degree in gunsmithing). It's a very well known problem.

The solution? Replace the trigger. As someone said above, get a Timney. That's the fastest, easiest, most readily obtained solution for a hunting rifle. They come pre-set to 3.5 pounds, and they just work. You can find other triggers if you wish - for a hunting rifle, I wouldn't go any lighter than 3.5 pounds.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)