AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Non gmo premiums
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

techyman
Posted 2/1/2019 23:08 (#7291496 - in reply to #7282499)
Subject: RE: Non gmo premiums

In the past on my farm the yield drag was so great with non gmo to gmo that comparatively speaking to this years prices a $4 premium woulda been the breakeven point.

Don’t underestimate the mighty genetics of today’s GMO beans and the easeness of controlling the weeds.

Another negative of raising non gmo from my experience is that 90% of the companies possess some degree of shadiness. (Examples: Extremely High cleanout %, only take a certain amount of bushels per acre on high yielding years (they pay a premium on 50 bu per acre even if beans made 58... then they pull out the magnifying glass so they can show you the fine print of the contract)..., disputes on when you can market the beans). Hell, I’ve even seen some of these rinky dink non gmo buyers go belly up and stick the farmer.

The only people getting rich off non-gmo beans right now are the middleman (guy lining up growers to pay the premium to and the same guy who is re-selling those non-gmo beans). I’m guessing his profit margin is mighty high right now thus the offering of a “high” premium.

Edited by techyman 2/1/2019 23:15
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)