AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help me plan this technology transition cost effectively. Planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

wildcat1000
Posted 2/2/2019 19:17 (#7292926 - in reply to #7277976)
Subject: RE: Help me plan this technology transition cost effectively. Planter

C IL
GrainTrader - 1/27/2019 23:11

Bought a basically factory stock 3800 Kinze 24 row. 2007 model with KPM 2 monitor

Box planter

Biggest realistic factor I have is easing my father into this technology a little at a time so it doesn’t overwhelm him. I work off the farm 1/2 the time and he will run the planter while I’m at work On his and my acres depending on the day and what’s ready...

For now I’d really like to add a 20/20 (which dad knows how to run kinda), and then next year add automatic 6 row point row clutch shut offs. If I add the 20/20, we have 2 gen 1 monitors already and I have a spare smart connector for em...

1. should I add the smart connector and take the gen 1 out of the spare planter we’ll have now? Then save some cash to purchase a gen 3 later on if I go crazy adding gizmos later?

2. Is it the same hardware/meters to run electric meters and finger pickup meters and then convert it to vac? (Let me reword that cause I think that’s confusing... if I add electric meters, will I be able to use that technology if I added vac to it without double purchasing stuff)?

Regardless of your path, I think you will find that until you have individual row clutches, you will find the planter clumsy, over planting point rows, and requiring considerable effort and time to manually shut off rows individually when finishing a field. Your overlaps in the corners may be significant, or require lots of effort to carefully position the planter. Your vision of seed saved and yields increased on point row areas and endrows will be elusive.

This is based on our experience in the growth path.

Pick up an imaginary 24” paint roller and walk up to the walls in your house and start painting. No overlaps of paint are allowed, only full roller widths. See how you are feeling about it after you paint the first wall. Then, get out another smaller roller, or get a new 24” roller and only put paint on part of it to finish around the windows and corners.

Good luck to you. You have a lot of money to spend yet in order for your Dad to easily use the machine. JMHO
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)