AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach me about Non-GMO soybeans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

bert58
Posted 1/18/2019 12:10 (#7253739 - in reply to #7253651)
Subject: RE: Teach me about Non-GMO soybeans

east central Ontario
My experience only, they are a ROYAL PAIN IN THE A##!!!

Enjoy those pics you have posted. You will never ever see a field of IP's look like that without eating up more than double the premium you may receive on either cultivation, diesel or approved chemicals.

We grew ours under contract. Final grade quality was much tougher. Seed costs were similar. Yields as well. Weed control was the Achilles heel. If you are able to spray, cultivate, hoe or whatever on time, and have perfect weather for activation, one pass may work. Otherwise you're making a second pass and perhaps a final burn down to make for combining ease and lessen the risk if staining. These were issues we had.

Not to mention that if, and I repeat, if you find an elevator close enough that will accept them, you are subject to much higher grading scrutiny, and if it fails, you let them go as crushers. If that's the case, you get harvest crusher price, or end up storing. Plus you've failed to fill contract and that tends to mean you roll to the next harvest season at the same price.

I may seem bitter on this, but our local elevator was bad experience and it was way too much hassle for what little increase if any ROI we saw growing them.

For some it can work. For us it did not.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)