AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

So I called it last week,............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 1/15/2019 10:40 (#7246472 - in reply to #7245954)
Subject: RE: So I called it last week,............

just a tish NE of central ND
As far as Im concerned the dairy was the best place to raise kids and be a working family.
......My condolences.
...I know somewhat how you feel. I grew up with dairy(very small dairy) and got my my chance to sell milk about the same time you did. I HAD VERY LITTLE COST IN THE SMALL DAIRY AND WE WERE GOING TO"WORK OUR WAY" INTO IT AS WE GO.....We were never Grade A dairy though, just manufacturing grade.With economics like they went,and kid to feed and house, the miloking just didnt take care of us very well AND NEVER HAD ANYTHING LEFT FOR IMPROVEMENTS. But it was the hardest thing to walk away from milking.I watched my parents and neighbors pay off farms and buy cars and raise families and send kids to college with milk. I always veiw it as one of my failures even though the milking did break even, but you dont buy and build on breakeven jobs..You just get old and worn out jsut like all of the equipment and barns. From the last time I washed out the milk tank, it took me probably well over a month before I set a foot back in that barn door.I just couldnt look at the place for a long while.Then several years later we dozed down the whole thing and cleaned it all up.
There are several 500 cow or maybe 1000 plus dairys in the state but I done even know of another small one.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)