AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Finisher or field cultivator
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

chirpfarm
Posted 1/14/2019 10:59 (#7244491 - in reply to #7242186)
Subject: RE: Finisher or field cultivator

South Central MN
I disagree on needing the finisher. It depends on how good of a job chopping and chiseling he did to begin with. We have a chopping corn head and run an case 870 or sunflower 4511 for chiseling. We have the New Holland version of a Case Tigermate 200 with rolling baskets, and I'd be hard-pressed to believe that going to a finisher is going to make enough of a difference in seedbed to be worth the extra maintenance. Admittedly, I've never run a finisher, but I don't know the last time that I saw one around here, and I doubt our conditions are that much different than the OP's.

When we had our previous wil-rich cultivator, I thought a finisher would be the way to go to replace it. At the time, the wil-rich was a newer cultivator, but it was a piece of junk. It wasn't nearly heavy enough, and the harrows on back didn't work well. We demoed the New Holland cultivator with the rolling baskets and were sold. I feel that rolling baskets have eliminated much of the utility of the finishers. An old finisher might be better than an old cultivator, but the newer cultivators have gotten awfully good for our conditions.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)