AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mfp payment and market prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

StxPecans
Posted 1/10/2019 07:58 (#7234269)
Subject: Mfp payment and market prices

So before the shutdown I was in my fsa office talking the lady. I asked earlier about an mfp payment for pecans and she said nope not on the list. I asked about what crops in my area were getting payments and ahe stated that soybean, corn and i think she said cotton.

Well pecan harvest is over for me, and selling off pecans today as I vannot sit on them forever and I do not have cold storage to hold them in.

Last year we had a record crop of pecans and prices were about $2.50/lbs for improved pecans and $1.75/lbs for natives last year. (I had a hurricane last year take out 90% of my production)
This year the united states probably lost 75 to 80 million Lbs due to weather this year on a normal crop of about 300million so close to 20%.

This year improved pecans are going for about $1.35/lbs and natives are going for a suprising $1.20/lbs for higher quality ones probably average around $.95.

Just curious what the spread on evergone elses crops are from last year to this year. And weather or not you crops were covered.

How will the current price effect how you plan for next year?
For me it cost me close to or more than $1.38 to produce paticular varities so i may just have to either farm them for poteintial loss or abandon them. With native pecan prices at the current level its getting ever so tight to make a profit on leased land.

Edited by StxPecans 1/10/2019 08:02
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)