AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

coyotes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hedge Post
Posted 1/1/2019 07:29 (#7211396)
Subject: coyotes

Iowa
Random thoughts on coyotes while waiting for the sun to come up:

- chirpfarm mentioned coyote burrows in ditch banks. I wouldn't focus on hunting or trapping near them, I suspect they are old badger or groundhog holes now being used by skunks and coons
- trapping and calling are great sport, but I would be surprised if someone new to it can be effective enough to make a difference in a local population. Snaring would be easier to learn, running with dogs or a big group would be more effective yet
- All of the above won't make a difference on a local level. Coyotes can smell a vacuum and fill it quickly.
- If you need serious local population control (like a sheep operation), denning is the way to go. Plenty of info online about it. Not PC to some

All of that being said, they don't really bother things HERE. A friend of a friend had a trail cam on an active den last spring/early summer and counted 30-odd fawns brought back to the pups. That was enough to make me give most of them a pass around here. A couple days ago, two were in the pasture and could have lifted a leg on the cows laying there. The cows didn't even get up. I realize opinions vary by location. I do like to catch a few near the house and farm, just because I like to give the red fox a chance.

Happy New Year everyone!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)