AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4020 hyd leak at PTO clutch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pirlbeck
Posted 12/12/2018 09:43 (#7166113 - in reply to #7166072)
Subject: RE: JD 4020 hyd leak at PTO clutch

West Central Iowa
Premature failure is caused by the pistons bouncing in and out when the PTO is engaged. Uneven PTO finger adjustment or low engagement pressure will cause it. Be sure the hyd pressure is up to the hi side of the spec 2250-2300 PSI and be sure the PTO valve spool don't come back up when the control lever goes over center. You can also add a spring and ball to the pressure inlet fitting of the PTO valve. This will help maintain PTO pressure when other hydraulic functions are used, which causes a drop in hydraulic pressure.

We have had some of the piston housing machined out for a poly-pac seal like is used on hyd cylinder rams, but it is a pretty small bore to work in, and it needs to be done to the correct dimensions or you will have worse problems keeping it from leaking.

The poly-pac seal dimensions are 9/16"X13/16"X1/8" Baum Iron part #12500562

This can be a troublesome area to keep sealed up. I have also used some hard plastic/teflon orings with some success. I think I bought them from McMaster Carr.

Edit to add: Be sure the backup rings are being installed in the correct location. They need to go on the side of the o-ring that is towards the front of the tractor, in other words away from the pressure. I have seen a lot of incorrectly installed backup rings over the years.

Edited by pirlbeck 12/13/2018 17:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)