AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Personally, I don't think ...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

farmer4321
Posted 11/30/2018 13:07 (#7138387)
Subject: Personally, I don't think ...

Personally, I don't think either trump nor Xi can bend enough to do us soybean producers any good. In order for any agreement to do us any good, the tariffs would actually have to be lifted & soon.
The trump administration started out with three really radical demands on the Chinese and have added more as time goes on. First it was the trade deficits which the Chinese could conceivably do something about. Then it was internal business practices, again, maybe they could have done something. Then it was intellectual theft. But Pence added the Wiegers (Uyghurs) problem and the South China Sea territory problem. It's hard to see what Xi can give enough on to satisfy trump. Likewise, what can trump give up enough on to not look like he's capitulating? He's already threaten the tariffs on the last $250 billion. He can give that up, but that's not going to allow Xi to cut the soybean tariffs. No, in order to look proportional trump would have to go all the way back to tariffs on the first $50 billion. And he can't do that because then he would look like he capitulated.
No, I don't think even if Xi & Trump make a start, either of them can ratchet back enough to get to lifting the soybean tariffs, at least not anytime soon, or anytime soon enough to mitigate the damage.
That doesn't mean an agreement wouldn't help some of the others affected by the tariffs, just not us.

Edited by farmer4321 11/30/2018 13:09
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)