AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I made a decision earlier this year to chop milo for silage instead of drought stressed dryland corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cattlefeeder
Posted 10/18/2018 18:39 (#7053688)
Subject: I made a decision earlier this year to chop milo for silage instead of drought stressed dryland corn

Central Kansas
Most dryland corn was making 3-6 tons per acre silage. Yes it really was that bad. Custom choppers were charging $7.50 per ton with a 10 ton per acre minimum. Plus the standard $.30 per ton per mile hauling. Well if it made 5 tons you were already up to $15 a ton just in chopping charges. So I decided to wait and chop my milo. Did it 3 and a half weeks ago. It averaged around 12 ton per acre. And I think turned out very well. Smells great and looks great. If I would have left it for grain I guess it would have made around 100 bushels per acre. Don’t have a dryland corn sample from this year to compare it to, but I will share my smple here if someone around would have a drought stressed corn sample they were willing to share and compare. The input cost on the milo were way less than dryland corn. And my dryland corn only made 23 bushels per acre.

Edited by cattlefeeder 10/19/2018 06:51

(544C4047-DAD9-44E1-9B9A-C998FB3CA23F (full).png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 544C4047-DAD9-44E1-9B9A-C998FB3CA23F (full).png (57KB - 55 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)