AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NC hog industry and flooding
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ben5398
Posted 9/14/2018 14:48 (#6987981 - in reply to #6987539)
Subject: RE: NC hog industry and flooding

Central Illinois
JayWalker - 9/14/2018 08:53

Let me start by saying I do not have hogs. I live about 30 miles of the coast. We are expecting 20 to 25 inches of rain locally. The are has two rivers: the Waccamaw, which drains out North Carolina who is also expecting 25+ inches of rain. We also have the Little Pee Dee. This also is feed out of North Carolina. The Little Pee Dee basin drains a lot of the border belt of NC\SC. We have been told to expect flash flooding and extended flooding.

Having said all of this, I would not be surprised to hear of lagoons (both agricultural and municipal) failing. Most places can not handle the volume of rain we are expected to get.

Currently I am more worried about the rain and the slow ground speed. If this storm would speed up and get out of here it would have less damage. The combination MAY destroy more than thought. I am expecting a Cat 1 storm to come over top of me. I have an equipment shed (open air) with three cart loads of cob corn and a truck load of shelled corn sitting under it. I am worried it may get wet, but this is life.

Tarp the loads; wrap all the way around with rope?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)