AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Uses of Drones?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 9/7/2018 21:27 (#6975896 - in reply to #6972467)
Subject: RE: Uses of Drones?

southern MN
I did find a cow in the field a couple weeks ago with mine, but it is not easy, straight down vertical stuff does not stick out well. I was viewing on a big computer screen twice before I noticed it.

I kinda fly over my farm once a week and notice stuff. It’s difficult to quantify, but I think I learn.

It was very useful looking at wet spots before tiling. You need to have worked ground, and then you need it to be wet, and then you need to be flying the exact hour when the ground dries off but the wet areas stay sticky damp. An hour too early or too late and you missed it, but can catch some good data just the right time. It really helped me to show the tiler the areas that are wet, and helped see where old tile lines must be because they aren’t wet - probably the biggest help to the tiler.

In certain crops old tile lines show up, without even looking for that. I’ve seen a cover crop a foot taller where old tile lines are - one year. Last summer my oats lodged. Except right on top of the tile line. Very distinct view. Then another year, doesn’t show up....

A pair of relatives want me to fly over their farm a couple times a year. They look the video over a couple times, and seem to notice a lot of stuff. Again, it is hard to quantify easily, but they are hoping I come in the next week again, they look forward to seeing the farm in fall before harvest. They have taken the laptop to their coop agronomist and discussed stuff from the video - so they use the pics/ video. They also were comparing how different corn held up to the monsoon rains this summer, they were pretty unhappy how one variety was yellow and stunted, compared to the other right next to it.

So....

I don’t know if that’s a good answer. I was hoping someone else would chime in when I saw your question a few days ago.

Like you, I try to look at it as a fun toy. But I’m kind of afraid I might have paid for it over the years. But it’s difficult to explain exactly how, for me anyhow.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)