AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SWAT Maps?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

satman
Posted 8/31/2018 15:55 (#6961945 - in reply to #6961663)
Subject: RE: SWAT Maps?

Langdon, ND
Well I haven't used the maps personally but have a good idea of what they are trying to do and promote. Basically they are repackaging a EM38 and using their proprietary hardware to automatically send that data through their data management app to a software. Predominately they use GK for their software. They stress looking at the Soil patterns and Topography first and figure out where the water flows and how it affects the soil before going into other data if at all. Soil test the base created by elevation and the EM38 and you have what you need. Then they use other data sometimes like imagery or yield to fill in gaps or understand the field somewhat better to change the ebb and flow of how zones can change.

They are not a big proponent of imagery or yield maps by themselves which I get but they have there place and as long as the grower understands his fields and is ok with a simple map at a simple cost than so be it if you ask me. They are really going for perfection on understanding all the different relationships agronomic-wise with different crops, applications, rotations, and a slew of other things that affect growing patterns, yield, and zones. I think that is great though very complicated.

They are the extreme on one end where you have groups that try to give you an automatic answer on the other end. Harder to scale but really the proper approach most likely. They may reach somewhat far into their ideals based on what other areas, groups, and systems perform today but at least they are asking questions on how others are getting to that point, why, how much, and the outcomes.

I think most all have their secret sauce but I will give Cory credit at CropPro and his SWAT maps for pushing good agronomic advice. It's getting some traction and he's at least trying to push the narrative that good agronomy and people trump algorithms and certain tech at this point and that we as an industry shouldn't forget it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)