AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Aerial seeded cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Corn/Stock
Posted 8/19/2018 05:09 (#6937141 - in reply to #6936533)
Subject: RE: Aerial seeded cover crop

I tried seeding at v4 several years ago and made a few mistakes and the end results were nothing. I only seeded annual ryegrass and the catch was great and was growing nice, thought I was the smartest person in the world, than cane the weed pressure as I only sprayed roundup post before I seeded. Got into July and has a really nice stand of waterhemp and annual ryegrass. August came and the ryegrass went dormant and laid flat on the ground. September came around and the ryegrass was completely gone.

The farmer in me thought it died and decomposed. District soil conservation representative was watching it as well and he claims when it laid on the ground dormant it became worm food and the took it down. Said I need to plant a mix as rape or kale would stay standing and hold the rye up off the ground to stay alive. He is probably right because I have seen it in person on others operations and it is working. I have a neighbor that seeded several hundred acres at v-3 to v-5 so will have a good test of what worked and what didn’t as he used all kinds of mixes.

When any application works it’s a lot of fun to add livestock, they absolutely thrive on it!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)