AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kinda in a pickle with this calf...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cattledriver
Posted 7/21/2018 17:19 (#6884245 - in reply to #6884096)
Subject: RE: Kinda in a pickle with this calf...

Oklahoma
MeadowlandsBeef - 7/21/2018 15:53

As much as I respect 5 Head and all his cattle insight, these kind of cows "that need their hormones to rebalance" can not wisely be left to the cow "and let nature take it's course" even with the protected "corner bar".  A new born calf is on "auto pilot" for the teat and wouldn't understand the concept of escape etc.to a protected area.

The best situation would be a good chute with removable panel as explained above by L down bar, AND about 1/4 to 1/2 cc zylazine to calm the cow so the calf can nurse (with your supervision and assistance).  (Sometimes I add 1 cc oxytocin to the sedative so the milk is there if the calf successfully latches on.  This is where it is advantageous to have a good working relationship with a vet as both these drugs require a prescription...)

Other wise keep doing what you are until the cow gets her "head straightened out":  Keep the calf well fed and only supervised attempts to try nursing and otherwise separated from cow.  Not saying she is guaranteed to come around.....but most do.  Takes patience on your part.  "Nature" could care less if you save the calf or don't!!!!!

With due respect to 5 Head,  I think new calvers in THIS brain mode are not "thinking" at all and your presence has no bearing on her behavior.  And it only takes one good head butt or kick or step-on to kill this calf.

Here here......well said
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)