AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Low Hour John Deere 4255
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Lefty Cabbage
Posted 7/15/2018 15:11 (#6871857)
Subject: Low Hour John Deere 4255

I wish I had found this forum last year.

When tractor shopping in the fall of 2017, I located a low-hour JD 4255 (w/2700 hours) at Willow Run Farms, owner Kevin Sykes. I spoke with Kevin several times and feel I made my expectations clear. Then in December 2017 I wired Kevin full payment of $68,800 with the understanding that the tractor would ship to me in Texas when spring weather in NY would allow. During our negotiations I requested an oil analysis (at my cost) on the engine and hydraulic transmission fluids. Since Kevin has an outstanding reputation in tractor circles I believed he would be familiar with the oil analysis kits where one takes fluid samples and sends them to a lab for analysis for a minimal fee with a report when it is done. I was surprised when he told me the cost was $464. I normally pay between $30-40. We talked through this and I paid Kevin's charge when he explained he had the work done by a JD dealership.

Finally in April the JD 4255 was delivered to me in Texas at my expense. Once I had the tractor I was able to examine it. I found numerous problems. Within 24 hours I had sent Kevin an email with photos of problems along with verbal explanations.
•No coolant visible in the radiator. The reservoir had maybe 1/4" in the bottom
•The PTO seal had a major leak and was dumping fluid on my slab
•The rear posts on the cab frame were bent
•The battery case on the right was extremely corroded and leaking electrolyte
•The air-conditioner did not cool
•Hydraulic fluid was leaking from around the main hydraulic pump area
•The AC condenser had many fins that were bent flat
•The door seal was held in place by duct tape
•The right front axle hub was not original
•The rear tires had major deep cuts and other problems

Most of these issues could have been corrected during the time the tractor sat in Kevin's NY shop for 4 months.

Kevin and I spoke on the telephone after I emailed him my concerns. We agreed I could and would pay return shipping, and he would take the JD 4255 back so he could sell it. It was not until the tractor had been returned to NY and examined, and I requested my refund, that Kevin informed me he would not refund my money until he was able to sell the tractor. As I told him, I had no choice at that point but to wait. By now he had had my $68,800 for more than 6 months.

On June 29, 2018, I received an email informing me that $66,200 had been wired to my bank. The email stated "$2,600.00 Kevin put in parts and labor to add to the tractor a 3rd remote" had been withheld. In other words, I was charged for a third hydraulic remote that Kevin added for the new buyer. The message also stated Kevin had corrected some of the complaints I had brought up and I had not been charged for him doing so. I fail to see why that is even a consideration since I didn't cause them! I have spoken via phone w/Kevin and asked him to refund the remaining $2600 he owes me but he is non-negotiable.

At this point I have learned a lesson that is costing me over $7,000. That is not a small amount for me.

Be careful when doing business with Kevin Sykes. I now question his integrity and honesty.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)