AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What options for auto steer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 7/9/2018 07:59 (#6858560 - in reply to #6858262)
Subject: RE: What options for auto steer

Southern Minnesota Between Freeborn & Wells
I used to use a Raven RGL 500 lightbar (later became the RGL 600) in conjunction with my Insight in a SP sprayer. I used a Raven Phoenix 200 GPS which had two output ports. One went to the Insight and the other to the RGL 500 lightbar. I preferred the Raven to other brands that I had some experience with. It has a large display and can use GPS from most any NEMA source.

It has two sets of LEDs. Like other light bars, one set tells you whether you are to the left or right of the AB line. The other tells you the angle at which you are approaching the line. With practice, using the two together gives the operator an idea of how aggressively to turn towards the line. This is a bit confusing to explain.

If both sets are centered, you are on the AB line and your heading is correct.

If both sets are displaced to one side, this means that you are off line and are heading at an angle which will make the situation worse, so make a rather aggressive correction. If the off line set is on one side but the angle indicator set is one the other side, this means you are offline but heading in a direction that will eventually bring you back online. This means that the operator should do nothing or make a minor correction toward the line.

With practice, this can be helpful in determining the amount of correction needed.

The Raven also has both a Seed (SED) and Row (ROW) setup feature. I used the SED setup to help guide me on the correct set of rows when spraying row crops. Once on the correct set I would manually steer by watching the rows. With the Seed setup, the operator needs to push a button on the remote as the headland is approached. This causes the system to do a Recalibration for the next pass. The system will compute where the next pass should be based on the swath width and current location. Although this requires the operator to push a button near each end, it continually compensates for row drift which was either due to GPS drift or operator error when planting. With the standard setting, the Raven like other light bars would calculate the passes all based on the first pass. This means that after a few passes, it is likely that the line would need to be "nudged" one way or the other. With the Seed setup, this is done on every pass.

The Raven also has a countdown feature where the distance to the next pass is displayed. With this I was able to watch the indicator and lead it a bit so that my turn in location was on the correct set of rows.

The Raven has no recordkeeping abilities, the actual spray information was all done on the Insight. It was necessary to set a new AB line for each field as the Raven has no way to save and recall old lines.

I'm not certain if your 250 could support both the Insight and a Raven light bar at the same time.

I now have a different spray arrangement using a tractor with AutoSteer and a 3 point sprayer. With it, I use autosteer to steer the tractor on the correct set of rows and then disengage it and steer manually across the field. With the TerraStar correction, I could probably allow the steering to steer across the field and stay within the rows but I choose to steer myself. I have since sold the Raven light bar.

In your case, an Ag Leader steering system could likely be added to the your sprayer. The current models do not work with the Insight. The Insight would need to be replaced with a newer Ag Leader display such as an Integra or InCommand 1200. Although the Insight was/is an excellent unit, they are getting some years on them and are prone to screen replacement. The newer displays have some other features such as an application report that can be very useful.

Your current modules for the sprayer would be fine with the newer displays as this is what I have done. There was an upgrade program that I used last year to trade in my Insights towards InCommand 1200's and SteerCommand. The program helped but it was still fairly expensive.

Edited by tedbear 7/9/2018 08:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)