AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Da*** Fire ants
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Carl In Georgia
Posted 10/10/2006 12:25 (#50162 - in reply to #50118)
Subject: Re: Da*** Fire ants

Ashburn, GA, (very close to Heaven!)
Yes, Orthene, Amdro, and Syngenta's Logic are good control measures. Amdro and Logic are slow, but most effective. We use Amdro in orchards and homeowners, Logic may be more likely to be used (check label) in athletic fields and pastures.

A personal favorite of mine is the Orthene 75S in a drench. I like to use a flower watering can with a drench spout. Add one gallon of water, then about 4 TBS of Orthene 75S, mix, and finish filling the can with another gallon of water. Either EARLY or LATE in the day -- timing is important, as the ants dissipate far from the mounds during the day -- drench the mound and wet the area two to four feet from the base of the mound. This is very effective for the average homeowner, and is a method that should not be necessary more than a couple of times a season. User beware, Orthene is a foul odored product, not such a toxic odor as some parathion products, but foul. We used to laugh that it stinks them to death. You'll find that it human toxicity levels has a range of safety competitive with carbaryl.

FOR THE RECORD: In spite of the fact the imported fire ant came into this country from the port of Mobile during the 1930's, I do not hold President Roosevelt nor the Democratic Party responsible for the nemesis that fire ants have become in the southeast.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)