AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Considering going to 15" rows notill[corn & beans]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

notilltom
Posted 1/10/2009 13:35 (#565182 - in reply to #565162)
Subject: consider total economic package

Oswald No-Till Farm Cleghorn, IA
Hi again,

I think if you have a huge desire to narrow rows there is merit to those suggesting 20" rows as you can buy off the shelf equipment from majors. From a practical residue management perspective, 20" corn/corn can be grown and most of us need to have that option available. Non-silage 15" corn/corn would be pretty tough. 20" corn could be sidedressed. Doubt that can be done with 15" corn (well).

What I am saying is that I am not sure if the agronomy behind growing 15" corn has really kept up. I don't think the agronomy behind no-till has kept up either so combined I am cautious about the investment in equipment as much as the potential major changes in agronomic tweaks required for no-till in northern Iowa.

I like to think strategically in what do I want to gain, what does it cost, what is the likelihood I can move the equipment at "normal" depreciated values should the move be a mistake.

One question is in regards to your age and potential career path and timing. How long do you intend to farm? Will the equipment be wore out by then? Where is the best alternative market for this equipment should you wish to move it before you retire or as part of your normal equipment upgrade path?

Does the equipment offer custom work or acreage expansion opportunities you wouldn't have otherwise? E.G. does it make you more or less competitive in the local land market?

In other words, can you afford being unique and on a leading/bleeding edge should yield enhancement (which has to pay for the trip) prove insignificant?

Sincere best of luck,
Tom
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)