AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a tractor after sitting a couple years?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jcolli140
Posted 5/24/2018 01:34 (#6776094)
Subject: Starting a tractor after sitting a couple years?

SC Wisconsin
Had a tractor (case 1175) that cracked a valve guide and filled a cylinder with coolant while sitting. Went to start it one day not realizing this, bent a rod, broke a cylinder skirt etc. Tore it apart in the corner of the shop and got all the parts but it wasn't really needed so I just kept putting it off. Well after a couple years finally decided to get the dang thing finished. All the new pistons, cylinders etc were sitting in their packages yet so they were clean and covered in oil, so no concerns there. My only concern is getting oil to the mains and such on startup as I only did an inframe. Seeing as I had the oil pan off I used a squirt can and squirted a ton of oil up on top of the crank hoping it will find it's way to the bearings, but I am not very confident in that. My idea here is to remove the line for the oil pressure guage that comes off the side of the block and run a tube to a little vessel made out of some steel pipe. then fill that pipe with oil and apply maybe 20-30 psi of air to it to sort of charge up the oil passages and push some oil in to the bearings and such. A bit of screwing around, but I'm just trying to play it safe. Just afraid of starting it and ending up spinning a bearing or something. What does NAT think?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)