AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need help designing chute and alley
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Nebraska Sandhiller
Posted 4/20/2018 10:19 (#6721157 - in reply to #6716393)
Subject: RE: Need help designing chute and alley

NNW Nebraska
to do one cow at a time, you dont need tub or alley.

Have a small pen in front of your head gate that you can put cow in and hold her. put head gate to one side of your pen in the barn, not in middle. use a head gate that has parallel bars all the way down so that when cow goes down, she don,t choke. have your area behind your cow like 20 ft long possibly a gate to make it shorter. if you have longer it would be good to put in some gates to make it shorter if you needed to, then you would have some extra pens if needed during a blizzard. Open head gate all the way. bring cow into pen behind head gate, through the head gate. set the head gate to catch the cow. when the cow turns around, she usually will head right back through the headgate. Kinda like bud box theory.

My head gate in barn is a perosn auto head gate. It dont really usually catch by its self. I have a pulley and a rope to pull it shut as I am behind the cow and she is making her intended exit.

should have a gate on the other side of the cow. that gate needs to swing all the way out of the road when you have a cow go down while pulling a calf. bottom of that gate should have a small gate included to hold cow & have a calf suck. I put a chain across the top of the gate go hold it against the cow.

If you only got 8 ft wide and use up 30 inches or so for the cow, you would have to make that gate fold in the middle to get it to swing all the way back out of the way. Or have another gate on the side of your 8ft wide area that you could open to allow the gate by the cow to swing all the way out of the way for the few times you would need to do that.

I have had so much trouble trying to post a picture to this site, I dont even want to try. I could draw a crude drawing and email it, if you dont understand my gibberish.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)