AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone doing No-till Organic w/ covers? I might go there.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

frytownfarmer
Posted 3/25/2018 09:44 (#6664046 - in reply to #6663986)
Subject: RE: Anyone doing No-till Organic w/ covers? I might go there.

Frytown, Iowa
There will be weeds with no tillage organic regardless of spacing. I want better seed to soil contact, better emergence and the option to clean up the field with a hiniker later on in the season.

From what I have seen... the rye is a good “pre” but it’s lacking the full season weed control.

Right now I farm both organically and conventionally with herbicides. Eventually I will drop one and embrace one practice I deem the best. No till organic has taught me a lot but it is NOT anything I would want on all my acres or even visible from the road. Luckily my experiments are hardly visible from the road. I need to find a way to successfully and consistently grow organic corn and soybeans with cover crops, and if there is tillage... the goal is zero erosion. So a spring turn over tillage pass is out of the equation.

However it would be nice to clean up the field with a rowcrop cultivator and have a nice looking 95% weed free organic field. If I can find a way I’ll be embracing that otherwise I will eventually drop the experiments.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)