AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Time and distance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

OntarioCanuck
Posted 3/25/2018 08:14 (#6663841 - in reply to #6660646)
Subject: RE: Time and distance

North of London

First realize I am not any kind of reference for answering your question about a centre fro the universe.

I have read different explanations and hypothesis and I will post this link for your consideration but it seems that at this time those who study this field really do not know if there is a 'centre of the universe' or where it is IF there is one.

I think most of us have the impression that the universe began with a conventional explosion and if you study how the experts phrase it they usually say it was an expansion or a rapid expansion.

Short read here that might help explain some
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

Of course there are many other even less uniform shapes the universe could have, with or without an identifiable centre.  If it turned out to have a centre on some scale beyond the observable universe, such a centre might turn out to be just one of many "centres" on much larger scales, just as the centre of our galaxy did before.

In other words, although the standard Big Bang models describe an expanding universe with no centre, and this is consistent with all observations, there is still a possibility that these models are not accurate on scales larger than we can observe.  We still have no real answer to the question "Where is the centre of the universe?".

So we are best to say 'i do not know' at this time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)