AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lets talk crop shares again.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

loran
Posted 12/23/2008 10:52 (#544601 - in reply to #544540)
Subject: need relationship & respect to make shares work.....

West Union, IOWA FLOLO Farm 52175
Yes, we pay all inputs and expenses incured in growing/harvesting the crop. Never have to explain cost or anything and we're open to do what will make the farm the most money. We work very closely together and the best compliment I get from them is when they offer to do something to "improve the land"

We've worked with them to put some of the poor ground into CRP(they recieve full payment on them acres) and they get 1/3 of Gov Payment on work acres. When I rented the farm in '92 they had a cash offer of $125 but they thought they'd take a chance on me(it was standing corn for 4yrs) and we never asked for a thing. We pushed fencelines and cleaned up the farm as much as we could with our equipment, about 3 years into it they finally started asking if the farm "needed" anything? and pretty much every year since they done something to "improve the farm" be it Tile,Waterways or Lime.

One thing I'll say is I wish every landlord was as great to work with, and if all where that's the only way I'd rent(I had 5 such agreement going at one time). Realtionship is the key word on making shares work and it doesn't hurt on cash rentals.

The only reason I still don't rent the other 4 on shares is the elders have passed on or sold the farm, the succersors tend to like the simplicity of cash and deposit and few take pride of the nice ear of corn you go out and pick for them to make their day.

Btw, that farm the top cash offered was $125, in all the years I've farmed it I think the lowest she ever got was $132 and has been well over $200 a couple of times(avg of all proceeds).......not to bad for a farm that wnet from nobody wanted to one that looks pretty decent now that they've had many offers on.

BTW(added edit) this is on Corn/corn with some beans depending on the year

Edited by loran 12/23/2008 10:57
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)