AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auto steer ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/28/2018 13:04 (#6537509 - in reply to #6537444)
Subject: RE: Auto steer ?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
barker4650 - 1/28/2018 00:40

Looking at adding auto steer to our 7330 premium. Tractor has Deere steering valves on it, we use an integra monitor for the planter already. So what do I need so I can plant 12 and harvest 8 and not hate life. Do I need RTK or will waas be good enough?

Another choice is TerraStar or Omni which require paid subscriptions for a full or partial year. I had an Insight with Omni for several years and was happy. I got a new tractor and had an Integra put in it with GeoSteer. This also used Omni. I got along quite well but others in my area had problems that particular year. Ag Leader came out with a trade-up program that allowed me to trade in the Integra and GeoSteer towards an InCommand 1200, GPS 6500 and SteerCommand. The 6500 can use the extra Russian satellites and has the TerraStar unlock. It needs a subscription. I've been very happy with that combination now for two years.

For many years I planted 12 and harvested 8 when using Omnistar. I didn't have really any problems in the heart of the fields since I was taking the 8 leftmost rows on one pass, the 8 rightmost rows on another pass. The middle pass would be taking 4 rows from one planter pass and 4 rows from the next planter pass but since this was right in front of me, I was always able to split the difference visually without much problem.

This was on rather flat land which certainly helped. Sometimes my guess rows got rather narrow or wide when doing the headlands. I would sometimes combine the first 8 and return taking only 4. I then had some room to work and took 6 rows each pass to finish the ends.

On my 8310R, the Ag Leader system is able to tie into the Deere CAN system and use the Deere Steering system and valves.

Edited by tedbear 1/28/2018 14:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)