AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble GPS speed to JD Gen4 Display
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/23/2018 11:54 (#6525608 - in reply to #6525525)
Subject: RE: Trimble GPS speed to JD Gen4 Display

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
deltagpsguru - 1/22/2018 23:16

Has anyone had any luck feeding the gen4 JD display a 3rd party GPS signal for speed? Trying to get ground speed for a planter, other than transmission speed. Thanks

I know it to be possible with certain combinations of equipment. I have no experience with the exact combination that you are asking about.

I have worked as a Tech and know that it is possible to get emulated radar from a GPS device into a Deere tractor.. The tractor could then display radar speed (actually from the GPS), transmission speed and calculate PerCent slip by comparing the two. The radar like signal is also available at the usual places so it could be used with a planter monitor or other device that needs a radar signal. I believe this is your question.

The first time I saw this done with a GPS speed only devices such as a Sky-Trak or equivalent. These are the Hockey puck like devices that are designed to plug into planter monitors etc to provide radar like speed instead of buying an actual radar gun. Installing one of these to work with the tractor itself was fairly easy. On many Deere tractors there is a 3 pin Metri-pak or maybe it is a Weatherpak connector hidden around the muffler area. When using an actual radar gun, a Deere adapter cable is available that connects to the radar gun. It provides power, ground and returns the signal to the tractor wiring.

To use the Sky-Track type devices, one only needed to make an adapter cable to allow the Sky-Trak to mate with that connector. The speed indicated was usually in the ballpark of being correct but might require getting into the tractor menu to change the cal number slightly.

I personally purchased a Deere 8310R a few years ago. This tractor was part of a special lease program to a local vegetable processor. They ran them for 300 hours or so and then they were sold to the general public. These tractors were ordered without radar or GPS. When I took delivery of this tractor I dropped it off at the Ag Leader dealership where I worked before retirement. They installed an Ag Leader Integra with the GeoSteer steering system. I asked about getting radar speed out of it to feed the tractor dash. The GeoSteer system did NOT support emulated radar out.

I happened to have a loose Sky-Trak that I had used in another situation so the installers used it. The tractor literally had two GPS antennas of the roof. The Sky-Trak which feed the tractor radar speed and the Ag Leader that worked with steering and the other application situations. The Sky-Trak could be mounted off to the side since it only provided speed and not position. This worked fine. This would likely be an option for you if necessary.

A year or so later, Ag Leader came out with a trade-up program. This allowed me to trade in the Integra and GeoSteer system for their current models, the InCommand 1200, a GPS 6500 and a SteerCommand system for auto steer. The tractor was returned to the Ag Leader dealer and the swap was made. This system does have a branch for emulated radar out so the Sky-Trak was removed and the radar out branch was connected to the connector under the muffler. This likely required a different adapter cable. I did need to type in a code to inform the system to produce the radar signal. After an update was performed on the GPS, the code needed to be entered again.

In your case I would say it depends on whether the Trimble GPS that you have has the ability to output emulated radar and if the Deere tractor still handles a radar gun in the same fashion as mine. Certain Trimble GPS system did NOT have that ability.

Edited by tedbear 1/23/2018 11:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)