AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Forgive me Guys. How close to the row for liquid fertilizer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 1/16/2018 06:12 (#6508726 - in reply to #6507687)
Subject: RE: Forgive me Guys. How close to the row for liquid fertilizer?

wheat fallow - 1/15/2018 17:30 Matt, I have read your newsletters on starter fertilizer and 2x2 (or whatever) side band placement of fertilizer. You were not a big fan of placement in front of the opener, and gave good reasons why. What would you do in a situation of high Ca soils where P will tie up quickly (especially if broadcast) but it is desired to put down (for no-till corn, 30" rows) a rate of 10-34-0 greater than 5 GPA along with at least a quart of ammoniated Zn? (Seems too high to put in the furrow with Keetons.) Compounding the problem is low rainfall so it would be desirable to get the fertilizer to at least seed depth. Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

In no-till, the soil surface gets acidic and the broadcast P doesn't tie up as bad.  That said, yours is a dry climate, and if soil test P was very low, I can see the need to place it subsurface.  So, this might be a case where you run side-band openers.  However, mulch cover is even more precious in such a dry climate -- so, ideally, I would put down extra P in the wheat year so you didn't need to run the side-band openers in corn.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)