AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Growing Taters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Idatom
Posted 1/3/2018 22:31 (#6477050 - in reply to #6475493)
Subject: RE: Growing Taters

Eastern Idaho
There is a few Russets grown around here......

This is a big topic, but here's a little info. Variety selection-you said Russets, there are basically three types, Burbank, Norkotah, and Ranger. Ranger is more of a processor/fryer type. Burbank and Norkotah are more fresh/table varities, but also process OK. 5Guys restaurants use Burbank for their fries. Burbank generally have a better flavor and texture for baking. Norkotah are a little bland by comparison, and are sometimes "clumpy" when baked. Norkotahs are prettier and have a better packout percentage of No 1s. Burbanks will usually be a little rougher.

Soil prep. This is not a place for no-till, the looser and deeper the better. I don't recommend planting them anywhere chicken litter has been spread-can lead to more scab issues.
Planting. Usually on 36" rows, and around 12-14" seed spacing for Burbank and Ranger, Norkotah can be a little closer.
Fertility. All goes to the lab for recs. Soil sample early on and weekly petioles later on. NEVER SURPRISE A POTATO! Water and nutrients need to be consistent, especially water! Careful on N later in the season as this effects solids/specific gravity.
Weed control. I'm assuming this is a small plot, and basically organic. Plant them in flat ground, and pull a harrow just prior to emergence. Throw up a small hill when they reach about 6" in height, throw up a bigger hill just prior to row closure. This is where the 36" row spacing comes in so you have enough dirt to hill up. After that it's done by hand and hoe.
After that WATCH THE WATER! Needs to stay consistent, wet and dry cycles cause knots and cracks. Too wet causes lenticels and disease issues.
"Here" they go in the ground the last week of April to the middle of May. Vines are killed around Sept 10, then left alone for about 21 days for Burbank and Norkotah, and 25 days for Rangers for the skins to "suberize".
Harvesting. I'm guessing you'll be doing this by hand. Just make sure they don't get too dry at harvest, makes them more prone to bruising and shrink.

My e-mail is good if I can help, and if your growing these organic I can turn you to some products that will help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)