AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

stupid question about wireless networks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

oopscdaz
Posted 12/7/2008 21:39 (#527268 - in reply to #526903)
Subject: RE: stupid question about wireless networks

Central Illinois
Ray (ecks) - 12/7/2008 16:58

With the talk about the new operating systems in the clouds it got me to thinking about a home network situation. We are going to switch to a wireless N network and along with that the router has a usb port to attach a hard drive. In the past we kept a desktop running 24/7 so the other computers in the house could access the shared files on the desktop where we stored pics, data files etc. The intent is to put all of that on the hard drive attached to the router so that we don't have to have a computer up and running 24/7 and a laptop can get to the files anytime.

Would it work to also put the programs on that drive, such as Quickbooks or others that we use and then just load the program from that drive?

The thought of relying on an internet connection to access all of your work does not thrill me because at this time they are still so unreliable and can get very slow. Having it on my own home network though wouldn't bother me at all.

Actually if you are building a new network, instead of attaching the hard drive to the USB slot in the Router, you might think of NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive. This is a drive that attaches to one of the Ethernet ports back on the Router rather than a USB drive. With a Draft N Router, the Network will be fast but the USB drive would be a bottleneck and two computers trying to assess it at the same time would be VERY slow.
As the others said, programs belong on each computer, data files go on the network drive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)