AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What do you use for NH3 PPE?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Itchy
Posted 10/22/2017 15:42 (#6321025 - in reply to #6320839)
Subject: RE: What do you use for NH3 PPE?

SW Iowa
two friends you have when running NH3....Wind and water. Always be aware of the wind direction so that in the event something breaks lose and the gas flies, you can quickly turn the tractor into the wind, so the cab blows clean. I always carry a small squirt bottle of water in my shirt pocket for quickly emergency dosing face, or other bare skin areas that accidentally got hit with NH3. Water is the best stuff to dilute the anhydrous and save serious burns.

Some of my worse times was when applying during a perfectly calm evening, and something broke leaking NH3 into the cab, and of course breathing. Remember, do not panic. Without stopping, lift and Shut off application equipment, steer the tractor to high ground, and open cab door, back window. Once you can breath freely and the air is clear, stop and fix the leak, or whatever broke. NH3 will stay in the low ground, not chase you up a hill. If you get a lung full of anhydrous gas, your larynx will start closing off, resulting in severe breathing problems. Immediately you will panic and try and get away,,Try to control this emotion, and just remember go to high ground, or into the wind. Once you get clear, your breathing will return to normal quickly, and you can gather your thoughts about what to do next. Fight panic at all costs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)