AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader GPS 2000 issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/18/2017 07:27 (#6314253 - in reply to #6313648)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader GPS 2000 issues

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
As far as using the 500 as a GPS source, this should be fairly easy. This consists of two parts 1) correct cable and 2) configuring the 500.

As I remember a simple 9 pin M-F cable is all that is needed as far as wiring goes. As I recall this is typically needed to gain length since the two devices are often somewhat away from each other. Sometimes a null modem or gender changer is involved but not in this case.

One warning: the Ag Leader 9 pin connector has power and ground in it so the Ag Leader display could power a GPS. This could cause problems with certain combinations of equipment. Since the 500 is already powered through its own wiring, getting power from the Ag Leader is not desirable and might lead to problems.

To be on the safe side I would snip off some of the pins in the male portion of a generic 9 Pin M-F extension. The pins that need to remain are 2,3 & 5. At least Pins 4 & 6 should be snipped off. It is usually possible to do this in the male end with a small nipper.

The settings on the 500 need to be setup through its menu system to produce the NEMA strings that the Ag Leader requires. In your case this should be 4800, 8, N, 1 with messages VTG and GGA on. Other NEMA strings OFF. The older Ag Leader displays can get overwhelmed by too much GPS information. Therefore you should not give them more information than needed nor at a very fast rate. Newer displays can handle extra information without a problem.

Edited by tedbear 10/18/2017 07:31
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)