AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agleader question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/22/2017 07:22 (#6262897 - in reply to #6262691)
Subject: RE: Agleader question

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I figured a screen failure was your situation as I had failures on both my Insights. One failed a second time but I traded them both in on the recent upgrade program.

As I understand your situation, variety tracking during harvest is important to you but part of the planting was done with the Insight and the rest with the Integra. As I see it you have many options.

1) Now that the Insight is repaired you could harvest those fields that were planted with the Insight with the Insight and harvest those fields planted with the Integra with the Integra. That way the internal planting maps would be available. I believe your concern is if the calibrations such as the C1-C11 numbers will stay with the combine or if you would need to reenter them. I'll return to this later.

2) You could harvest all the fields with the Insight. The varieties would be present for those fields planted with it. Variety tracking on the other fields planted with the Integra could be manually entered based on a printed variety map from SMS. I did this when I planted with an Integra but harvested with an Insight. I didn't want to move the Integra to the combine as it was being used for steering in the planting tractor for other operations during harvest.

3) You could harvest all the fields with the Integra. The varieties would be present for those fields planted with it. As far as the fields planted with the Insight, you have some options. You could manually change the varieties based on a printed map from SMS, hand notes or you could create a Reference background map from SMS of those fields. A background map can be exported out from SMS to a USB stick for each of those fields. As you start harvesting a field planted with your Insight you would temporarily load the variety map from the USB stick into the Integra. This variety map does not become part of the Integra's memory but is available for auto variety tracking. When you switch fields, this variety map is lost from the Integra and would need to be reloaded if your returned to that field.

4) Forget about variety tracking altogether and do your variety analysis from within SMS after harvest. Since SMS would have the various varieties in it, analysis can be done based on the variety and the harvest maps.

Concerning #1 above which seems to be your preference. I believe you are concerned about the calibration settings. Here are my observations. I have used an Insight in my combine for two years so the combine has what I feel are rather good calibration settings for weight. I traded off the Integra so the planting this year was done with an InCommand 1200. I have traded in my remaining two Insights toward two more InCommand 1200's. This year will be the first year I will harvest with anything other than the Insight that was always used in the combine.

When I installed the InCommand that did the planting in the combine, the variety maps were present as I expected. There really shouldn't have been any doubts about that. I then manually created a combine configuration. I got asked the usual questions about combine brand, model, GPS location etc. I also had to create the heads with information about their width/rows etc.

I was assuming that the C1-C11 numbers would be the standard starting values for my combine as if the entire system was new. When I examined them they were my "old" cal numbers from before that I had written down so I could manually enter them if I chose. This surprised me and leads me to believe that these cal numbers (not all) "live" in the Mass Flow Sensor module which remained the same. If my observations are correct, this should mean that your calibration numbers will "still be there" if you switch between your Insight and Integra.

For a test, I would recommend doing this. Start with the Insight and look at the C1-C11 numbers for your crops and write them down. Remove the Insight and install the Integra. Create a configuration if necessary and then look at the C1-C11 numbers for your crops again. I believe you will find the numbers remain. This should also mean that an Insight could be replaced with another Insight for harvest and the cal numbers would still be good to go. The second Insight would not have the variety maps unless its memory was a restored version from a backup of the first Insight.

If I were in your situation, I would harvest the entire crop with the Integra if it is available. This would be choice #3. Printed maps or temporary background maps from SMS could be used to get the varieties involved. After the harvest analysis can always be done with SMS no matter what approach is taken.

Edited by tedbear 9/22/2017 07:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)