AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will a Raven lightbar work with a Outback STS or STX?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 9/19/2017 07:32 (#6256660 - in reply to #6256044)
Subject: RE: Will a Raven lightbar work with a Outback STS or STX?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I had one and always used it with a Raven Phoenix 200 but I'm quite sure that it can work with other brands. The GPS connection is a standard 9 pin so if the output from another GPS uses a 9 pin or has a cable adapter for such that should be fine. The Lightbar uses standard NEMA messages so the Outback may need to be reconfigured which shouldn't be too tough. You would want a fairly fast BAUD output rate so the lightbar gets the position information quickly

I preferred the Raven light bar to other brands as the display was large and was usually mounted outside the cab. I also liked the display which showed your relationship to the AB line and also what the angle to the line was. By using these two together, one could easily get an idea of which way to turn like any other light bar but also how much to turn so as not to overshoot.

My spraying was generally done on rows where I was interested in "getting on the right set" and then manually steering following the rows. Many operators just used the standard AB pattern. I found the SED (seed) and ROW (row) patterns to be helpful for this. I like using the SED pattern. With this choice, the operator needs to push one of the buttons as they approach the headland. This causes the system to advance to the next pass but also does a ReCal based on your current position. This means that any GPS or planter drift is compensated for at each end.

In my case with a 90' boom this meant that once I pushed the button, the system would advance to the next pass and show that I was off 90'. Then as I made my turn, the number counted down as I approached the correct set of rows to straddle. Since there was a bit of a time delay in the countdown number, I would mentally "lead" it a bit for my turn. Once I was on the correct set of rows for a bit, the number would reduce to 0 and I would follow the rows across the field and not watch the light bar. As I approached the other end, I would repeat the process.

Using the standard AB line setup would not require pushing the button on each end but GPS drift and/or planter drift always seemed to enter in as I progressed across the field. This meant that I needed to do a manual shift or Recal fairly often. With the SED choice I just got into the routine of pushing the button just prior to performing by usual turnaround routine. I forget right now why I used the SED pattern rather than the ROW pattern. They are somewhat similar but I liked the SED for row spraying for some reason.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)