AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

1st time grain cart buyer.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 9/11/2017 00:29 (#6240624 - in reply to #6240405)
Subject: RE: 1st time grain cart buyer.

Sandcraft - 9/10/2017 21:35

I should say I don't have 200 bushel corn. Not where we are. Maybe 150 is a possibility. I will be unloading into trucks and semis more specifically a 42ft 72in side and 20 foot tandem axle trucks. I have a 4440 tractor or 4450 need to hook up to for now. Hoping to get a 4960 or 8400 on the farm soon. Maybe you all can tell me why I need to unload twice on one cart? Is it because of waiting for trucks? In that regard I should be alright as I usually don't have to wait. I think I'm limited to about 500 and some bushels if I chain the drawbar with 3pt.

Being able to unload both combines on the cart while they're both still harvesting (unloading on the go) is extremely important if you want to get the most out of the system:

1. Keep both combines close together
2. If at all possible, make sure both combines are totally empty as they get to the end of the field closest to the trucks

Doing these two things results in you having the shortest turnaround time with the cart and results in the combines having the longest amount of time before they are full again when the cart leaves to go load the truck.

If you can only get 1.5 combine loads on the cart, 1 combine is going to sit a LONG time every other cart trip to the trucks or the combine will have to road to the trucks.

If you have long rows it gets more complex that that. You need a cart that is large enough to carry all of the grain that both combines would harvest doing one full round. So let's assume the following things:

1. 125 bushel corn
2. 8 row heads
3. 1 mile long rows.
4. 16 rows on the ends for turn rows
5. 40 feet from the last row of corn around the edge to the centerline of the road

If both combines start out empty as they head away from the trucks, and they come right back after they get to the end of the field they will have harvested 9.4 acres. If you want them empty before they head away from the trucks again (so the cart has as much time as possible to get to the trucks and get empty and come back) then you need to be able to hold all 9.4 acres on your cart. That's 1175 bushels at 125 bushel corn and there is no way you're going to get that on a cart that is less than a 1300 bushel cart if you're dumping on the go.

Even half that row length and you'll need a cart that can hold 587 bushels dumped on the go which means you really need an 800 bushel cart to get the job done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)