AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Biff
Posted 9/5/2017 09:27 (#6229984 - in reply to #6227862)
Subject: RE: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

Southern Ab
I had a bone infection in the 80's and had treatments in the diving decompression chamber in Vancouver BC. The idea is that your blood would hold 13 times normal oxygen while under 2 atmospheres of pressure. My infection was anaerobic strep so if you could get blood flow to the wound the infection could not survive. Im sure the methods have changed in 30 years
The chamber was about 16' feet long total maybe 7' dia. Two compartments with a huge swinging door between. It looked very much like an oilfield vac truck tank. The chamber was outfitted with equipment so a major surgery could be done in there. Three of us squeezed in that little space with plastic bags velcroed over our heads. Attached to the bag were airlines bringing in 100% oxygen and a bigger line pumping it back outside the building. Everybody had to wear non-static hospital gowns. I took two 4-hour treatments a day for 6 weeks. There were no tv or outside electronics allowed so it was just hours of reading large print Readers Digest books while looking thru the plastic bag.
The chamber itself was a marvel. The compressors were huge. Big emergency generators with emergency backup starting systems. It had a fire fighting system that could flood that chamber in seconds while keeping pressure inside constant. My treatment took two 200lb bottles of medical oxygen per day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)