AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Meat brining recipe needed.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

nwksmilo
Posted 8/30/2017 06:19 (#6218082 - in reply to #6217628)
Subject: RE: Meat brining recipe needed.

Colby, KS

After trying many methods over the years, my observation is that brining is a means of adding moisture, but is the wrong chemistry for adding flavor.  Brines are always some sort of mixture of water, sugar, and salt.  Basically a short duration wet cure.   The salt and sugar cause the meat to take on moisture through osmosis.  Since brining adds moisture, it is really only beneficial on dry meat (poultry).  Meat cuts with plenty of fat have enough moisture from the melting fats if cooked properly.

Almost all of the flavors we want in meat are actually oil soluble and not water soluble.  You can put garlic, pepper, or whatever in a brine, but it isn't really going to get it in the meat because it is suspended in the water and not a true solution like salt and sugar are.   The best way to get flavor in the meat is with oil.  Injected marinades are the way to go.

For poultry I'd recommend brining and and using an injectable marinade that is mostly melted butter or peanut oil.  For pork and beef, injections work but are hard to do.  I generally just use wet rubs (oil based) with the other meats.   Brining really seems to have no benefit for beef unless you are making pastrami.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)