AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

A treat for the whole family all summer long.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

FarmLandWanted
Posted 8/22/2017 20:16 (#6204006 - in reply to #6203859)
Subject: RE: A treat for the whole family all summer long.

SE North Dakota
I set tomato plants in as early as the day time temps stay constantly above freezing. Keep in mind I am in North Dakota, I move them in and out of the shop on a trailer until the threat of night time frost is past. I have brought tomato plants back to North Dakota from Missouri in the spring that are already starting to bloom in Missouri and kept them in at night when frost is likely but out in day time and I have had tomatoes in early June here.

You ask what is wrong with leaving two inches of water in the bottom. I had tried last year to irrigate from the bottom up by setting up a water reserve tank at the height I wanted my subsoil moisture at and I ran a 1/4" plastic tube to the bottom of each tote and just kept filling my reserve tank until water was at the level I wanted. Sounded like a good idea but plants did not seem to do as well. I surmise that the water leaving the bottom of the totes actually pulls oxygen down into the soil as the water leaves the bottom. Also I had moss growing all around the tubs due to the translucent totes letting light in. It did not work well in my opinion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)